Manchester United news: Memphis Depay explains how he was treated like a ‘naughty child’ during his time at Old Trafford

Manchester United news: Memphis Depay explains how he was treated like a ‘naughty child’ during his time at Old Trafford
Former Manchester United winger Memphis Depay claims he was treated like a ‘naughty child’ by Louis van Gaal during his underwhelming spell with the Red Devils.The Dutch forward failed to make an impact at Old Trafford, scoring just two Premier League goals in as many years, before joining Lyon in 2017.Depay has gone from strength to strength since leaving Unitedgetty2
Depay has gone from strength to strength since leaving United
Since then, the 25-year-old has emerged as one of the most gifted players in Europe and in his new autobiography, he explains how he has matured as an individual.Depay reveals that he approached Ryan Giggs for advice on how to improve as a winger, while former Red Devils boss Van Gaal had different ideas.“After I lost my spot in the starting line-up, I asked assistant coach Ryan Giggs to do extra training with me,” Memphis said in his book ‘Heart of a Lion’. “To work on my crosses with my left foot, to become a better winger. After a while Van Gaal asked me to come to his office. He said that there was nothing wrong with my left foot and that the extra training with Giggs was nonsense. Its all in your head, he also told me.“That struck me. I mean, what could be wrong with trying to become a better player, with the help of a former top-winger like Ryan Giggs? More and more I got the feeling I could do nothing good according to Van Gaal.“Later Van Gaal came to me and told me I had to talk with a mental coach he personally knew. My answer was that I wanted to think about that.7. Memphis Depay (winger)getty2
Depay was a shadow of his current self at Old Trafford
“I was still confident that I would succeed at United, as soon as I was adapted to the higher level of football and to my new life in England.“Later on Van Gaal kept on saying that I needed to talk to that mental coach. It would benefit my focus and concentration level, he said. But I didnt feel like talking to a stranger, also because I had my own mental coach since I was twelve already.“Deep inside I felt that it would cause a problem if I didnt do what Van Gaal told me. But I didnt want to be an actor and pretend that I thought it was a good thing to do. Just to please the manager.

LIVE ON talkSPORT

talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here's what's coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2...
  • France vs South Korea (Friday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
  • Denmark vs Republic of Ireland (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
  • Croatia vs Wales (Saturday, 2pm) – talkSPORT
  • England vs Scotland (Sunday, 5pm) – talkSPORT
“After my third refusal to talk to that mental coach, Van Gaal didnt speak to me for a long time. I think hes finished with you when you dont follow his advice.“He kept putting me on the bench and at the end of the season he spoke to me again: to say that next year would be even more difficult to me, because United was going to buy new strikers.“Before the last game of the season, the FA Cup-final against Crystal Palace, he even put me on the stands. Like a teacher does at school with a naughty child.”

Donnarumma has played 128 Serie A games

Wilder did, though, take another shot at Bamford after watching the striker got Anwar El Ghazi red carded at Elland Road in chaotic scenes that saw Leeds boss Marcelo Bielsa order his players to allow Aston Villa to score a goal. "Full respect for Marcelo Bielsa today. Not full respect to Patrick Bamford," the Blades boss added.
Marcelo Bielsa - talkSPORT

Declan Rice switched allegiances to England

Crystal Palace. HOME KIT. unveiled the new home kit but the Cottagers have turned to their promotion winning stars from 2001 to help launch their new away strip. Kit Symons, Luis Boa Morte and
Headline News, 20 Aug 2018 | 15 Minute News - Know the News

David Wagner left Huddersfield by mutual consent

Crystal Palace are interested in taking Everton striker Cenk Tosun on loan but unearthed quotes reveal he was not so keen a couple of years ago. The Turkish international has fallen down the
Everton's Cenk Tosun Claims He Is at 'Much Bigger Club' After



CHELSEA are facing a two-window transfer ban this summer that could leave the Blues in a perilous position next season. for falling foul of rules on signing young players. wanted more than
Chelsea's transfer ban will hurt more than fans think, as the

Daniel Sturridge has struggled for playing time under Jurgen Klopp

Transfer news and football gossip: Liverpool join race for Ajax star, Man United target Paulo Dybala, former Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger rejects English job Tuesday, 7 May 2019 ( 2 weeks ago ) talkSPORT.com round up all the latest transfer news and football gossip from Tuesday's papers and online…
Transfer news, rumours and gossip - LIVE!

The full-back has got a groin problem at the moment and it seems Serge Aurier will be the starter going forward. Even if Trippier is fit to for next week hell be up against Arsenal so a start is unwise.

Kieran Trippier has revealed Harry Kane's "mental" half-time team talk inspired Tottenham's incredible comeback against Ajax. Spurs looked certain to crash out of the Champions League after

Sir Kenny still visits Melwood regularly

Chelsea vs Arsenal: Maurizio Sarri storms off in fury during Blues' training session just 24 hours before Europa League final a furious rage after Gonzalo Higuain and David Luiz appeared to
Maurizio Sarri storms off in fury during Blues' training

Pickford’s heroics for England in Russia won him plenty of supporters back home

Chelsea transfer news: Blues sends scouts to watch potential 'Eden Hazard replacements' Joao Felix, Ruben Dias and Bruno Fernandes. derby as they prepare for life without Eden Hazard
Chelsea send scouts to watch 'Hazard replacement' Joao Felix

Sanchez was a fairly ineffective substitute against Chelsea

Mesut Ozil walks past the trophy after losing the UEFA Europa League final (Image: OZAN KOSE/AFP/Getty Images) . However, Ozil's agent has moved quickly to rebuff rumours, and the former Germany international has backed up his representative's claims, and is determined to see out the remainder of his contract.
Arsenal 'ready to cut their losses' on Mesut Ozil this summer

Sarri could well be out of job soon, according to Tony Cascarino

Chelsea vs Arsenal: The Henrikh Mkhitaryan situation is a disgrace entirely of Uefa's own making. Mkhitaryan's situation is a culmination of the many problems with staging the Europa League final
Arsenal fans launch petition to get Europa League final moved

Game of Thrones star Sean Bean and Neil Warnock have differing versions of the events of 2007

Mar 04, 2019 · Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is scheduled to take a significant step in his recovery from a serious knee injury with an appearance for Liverpool Under-23s against Derby on Friday.
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain: Liverpool midfielder to return from

No comments:

Post a Comment